Not looking past this Saturday night.
But the champion Andy has another fight lined up for the Japanese promotion Rizin. Nguyen has been entered into the Rizin Atomweight Gran Prix and will face Asian
Shoot Box star Rena Kubota on October 15, and the winner will move on to compete New Years night. Kubota has a combined kickboxing and ShootBoxing record of 35-5-1 and has won the Shoot boxing S-Cup 4 times ( 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014). Rena is also (4-0) in WMMA. She has finished all four opponents. Two by submission and the latest two by strikes to the body.
Nguyen, with a win Saturday night. Will enter the Rizin GP 6-3 with a four fight win streak. This fight will be one for the fans. I don’t see this or any CrAsian fight being boring in the least!
SPEAKING OF OPPONENTS…
It’s been a good week now since Cindy Dandois has surprised the wmma world and called out the number one world ranked welterweight in King Rina!
– In her wanting to go back to fighting at her natural weight class of 145 or in this case higher, the number 2 ranked Feather weight has set her sights on light weight and welterweight and her foot in the door in into the Japanese scene where she feels there will be more ability to express herself inside and outside of the cage.
So keep an eye out as to whether this fight eventuates onto this card as well!
World GP series have become part of RIZIN’s staple concepts ever since its launch in 2015. King Mo was crowned the winner of the -100kg GP in 2015, while Mirko Crocop won the Openweight GP last year by finishing all four opponents.
The latest GP to get underway was the RIZIN’s bantamweight GP which kicked off on 30 July with Kyoji Horiguchi, Takafumi Otsuka and Khalid Taha advancing to the quarter finals on 29 December.
The fight card is as follows:
· Rena Kubota vs Andy Nguyen
· Miyuu Yamamoto vs TBA
· Saori Ishioka / Kanna Asakura vs TBA
· Shintaro Ishiwatari vs TBA
· Kazushi Sakuraba vs Dan Henderson